Have you ever thought about the value of a chopping board? If yes, you probably have never known that the wood used to make the chopping board should be an important consideration when you are shopping for these kitchen accessories. Wait! Did you know that a proper cutting board makes your work not only interesting but also improves the tidy nature of the working space?
One area where most of the public population has been mislead is the belief that it’s easier to take care of plastic boards than the wooden ones. Nay! Investment in a good wood cutting board is real investment. The question is what is the best wood for cutting board one should consider?
Benefits of a Wooden Cutting Board
Before going to the types of woods there are for cutting boards, it’s worth knowing the benefits of having a cutting board itself. The benefits of owning such an investment are a lot many. One reason for your dislike of the wooden cutting board is probably due to the fact that your mommy’s or granny’s wooden board was a bit chunky and irritating. Before making your conclusive judgment to shun all the wooden boards, first ask yourself which wood was that cutting board you detest made off.
You will end up noticing that as much as wooden cutting boards are the best for your kitchen, not any wood can produce a product that you will truly cherish as an asset. Below are the real benefits of wooden cutting boards
The antibacterial and antimicrobial property of wood makes the wooden cutting boards super hygienic.
They are very simple to clean and if the cleaning steps are followed, these boards can last your lifetime. In a nutshell, as long as you know how to maintain them, they are very low maintenance boards.
Wood is an environmentally friendly renewable resource thus making wood cutting boards very environmentally sustainable
Unlike the plastic cutting boards, the wooden ones don’t easily get scratched. Scratches can result to some very ugly scrape marks.
Choosing the Best Wood for Cutting Board
As mentioned above, wood has been discovered and proven to be having antimicrobial properties. As a result, for any serious health-conscious cook, owning a wooden cutting board is a must. Regardless of whether you are just a home cook or a professional chef, there is no doubt that you always want the best for yourself, your family, and customers, as far as health is concerned.
The problem that comes in wood cutting board selection is in choosing the right wood. This is because if you end up with low-quality wood, you may end up cursing the wooden cutting boards and ultimately leading you to consider the not very safe plastic cutting boards. Below are some of the factors to consider during selection.
The end grain of the wood for a cutting board needs to be the sturdiest you can lay your hands on.
Even after choosing the best type of food, always ensure that the corresponding cutting board has an average of 4-inch thickness. If it ends up being thinner, the durability of the board will be compromised as it will be very susceptible to chipping, denting, rolling, and cutting.
Sturdy end-grain as well as a 4-inch thickness is credited for their capacity of making the boards heal faster by just swelling, in the event of a cutting mark.
Rules on cleaning a wood Cutting Board
- Soft cotton is all that is needed to clean or even heal a wooden cutting board.
- The cloth is used to merely oil the board before the first time use, thus lending it a longer-lasting life.
- To remove all juices, warm soapy water should be used to wash the board
- Wooden cutting boards must never be put in dishwasher machines
- Under no circumstance should you ever leave the cutting board soaked in water or even in a wet area such as a sink
- To keep them sterilized, occasionally spray vinegar on them with vinegar or lemon also being rubbed on them to keep the boards sanitized and free from odor
- Always ensure that your knives are sharp when using the boards
- Always air dry them, always ensuring that they are completely dry before storage
- Never cross-contaminate. It’s advisable you keep a wooden board for meat and another one for meat. If you have one, always start by working the vegetables before cutting the flesh
- Always wipe your work area as you cook so as to always ensure that your work area is clean
- Always keep the sponges away as they keep the cutting boards moist thus increasing their risks of falling prey to microbes
- As you work on your food, wash your hands as many times as possible, and as the need arises
- Opt for organic farm fresh vegetables so as to reduces risks of contamination
Following are considered to be the best available options
The material employed in the construction of wood boards will always be impactful the appearance of the end product as well as dictating the ease of cleaning them. Such materials also determine the durability of the boards, not forgetting their ability to preserve the integrity of your knives. The superior quality woods used to make cutting boards are edible nut producing hardwoods.
This is because such woods have been proven not to contain any toxins capable of leaching into the food you are preparing. That said the most common wood types used are Teak, Cherry, and Maple. In the near past, Bamboo has become very common, becoming the most preferred in most cases.
For decades, maple cutting boards have been the most popular. The abundance of this wood is one of the primary reasons for its popularity. Furthermore, the wood has proven to be incredibly sanitary. As a result, the use of maple on itself is an incredible way of inhibiting bacterial formation in the board as well as in the food courtesy of its capillary action.
Maple is characterized with a capillary action that absorbs all manner of bacteria from the food under preparation. And where does it deposit the pulled bacteria? If you thought that the absorbed bacteria will live in the board, your guess is absolutely wrong. According to studies, the absorbed bacteria are trapped in the wood cells after which they are choked and suffocated in a matter of within some three minutes.
The renewable nature of the maple material is yet another incredible feature. Maple is more sustainable as compared to its other counterparts in the sector. This is due to its fast growth in large numbers thereby ensuring there is ample supply for the ever-present demand. Because of this, maple cutting boards are relatively affordable as compared with other woods.
The beauty of teak has been an identifying characteristic of its timber for a long time now. This has led to the frequent use of the wood in luxury items that include boats and furniture. Its natural resistance to water is also another major reason for its preference as a boat construction wood. Such an attribute is a plus for the kitchen because it makes the teak cutting boards easy to clean as well as resistant to bacteria and staining. In a nutshell, the water resistance feature makes teak cutting boards to be some of the longest-lasting, whereas its beauty makes it preferable where elegance is a factor of consideration.
Due to the softer nature of the cherry wood, cherry boards are some of the best products for those looking to extend the useful life of their lives. Its downside though is its increased chances of absorbing humidity. As much as this moisture absorption doesn’t impact bacterial growth, the cherry board products are known to be less durable when compared with other hardwoods, especially if not handled well as far as water drying is concerned. It will thus properly serve you if only used as a supplementary cutting board with your other main boards being more predominantly used.
As you use this wood, ensure it is always as dry as possible as moisture absorption may result to warping among other value degradation.
Bamboo is not a true wood but rather a kind of grass. The material has in the recent past gained traction in the cutting board world and beyond. Its main selling point is the sustainability of the material because of its fast growing nature. Bamboo is one of the fastest growing plants you will come across on the planet earth, not forgetting that it is equally among the easiest to grow as well as to take care of. In addition, the wood also features some simple looks and is very low maintenance related.
The density of bamboo is so high that water absorption is really a tall order. This is one of the main features that make bamboo to have a longer life, a reason why bamboo boards are probably the most resistant to cracking and warping.
Lastly, when choosing a wood cutting board, one of the most important points of consideration is the antibacterial properties. Bamboo’s antibacterial properties are very impressive. Compounded with the fact that knives aren’t fond of leaving marks on bamboo, the industry just wishes it had discovered bamboo a little earlier.
The Five Best Wood Cutting Boards
1. DiEvita Premium Bamboo Cutting Board
This is a cutting board that has been designed for grip convenience and multifunctional cutting. Its reputation speaks for itself to make it score as the best wooden cutting board on the market. The DiEvita product is very popular due to its many much sought after characteristics and specifications that include its anti-bacterial features, its durability as well as the lightweight construction among other features. But why really would we consider it as the absolute cutting board for any kitchen?
Features and Pros
- Absolute Construction- It ‘s bamboo wood construction is a much sought after material and the construction has been dedicated for everyday kitchen related tasks such as chopping, slicing as well as dicing
- Effective Functionality- One of its main selling features is its high degree of non-absorbent feature that in return further boosts the naturally-Anti bacterial properties of the chopping board.
- Eco-Friendly- The choice of bamboo used is a superior type that has been chosen to offer sustainability, with knife-blunting tendencies almost fully done away with.
- Multi-Purpose Bonus- Every large cutting board that one buys, one gets an additional smaller board in the package. This can not only be used as a cutting board but also as a coaster or even a serving board.
2. Greener Chef Bamboo Housewarming and Wedding Gift Set Cutting Board
Though the second best on this list, it is a favorite of many professionals and home owners alike. Its resourcefulness is the reason why every chef should consider owning such a cutting board as this. It has brought a bundle of happiness to many chefs and will most likely recruit you in this bandwagon of joy. If you are looking for one of the best wedding, Christmas, housewarming or anniversary gift, then this ought to be your ultimate destination. The cutting board, though featuring a bamboo construction has carefully been selected, constructed and finished to ensure durability. It is free from BPA and all other toxic chemicals and elements
Features and Pros
- It’s a two toned bamboo cutting board that’s among the most elegant in the industry
- Offers a good gift combination.
- Features some bonus units such as salad tongs, cooking utensils, wooden spoon and spatula
- Features a lightweight construction and is very safe as well as easy sanitization in addition to the chemical-free surface.
- Features the much sought after antimicrobial and antibacterial features
- Oiling has to be done for a week before commissioning for use hence it won’t be the best product for him who needs to use his cutting board immediately out of the box.
3. Greener Chef King Size Organic Bamboo Cutting Board
The quality of products designed and made by Greener Chef seems to be outstanding; no wonder two of its products are finding their way in the packed and competitive list of quality wooden cutting boards. Its King Size cutting board comes with a lifetime replacement warranty and an elegant design that doesn’t only qualify it as the great cutting board for your kitchen but also one that you can gift a friend on their ceremony or holiday. It is the best chopping board for large kitchen needs but one that can still perfectly fit in even the smallest of kitchens.
If you are looking for a natural antibacterial and antimicrobial cutting board, then you have all the reasons to trust the King Size Cutting Board by Greener Chef. In addition, the product does not only smell great but also adds a taste to the oriental look of your kitchen.
- Large space is always a blessing to cooking thus King Size will be a sure blessing to your chopping and ultimate cooking.
- Perfect design that’s lightweight, elegant and one that doesn’t dull or blunt your knives.
- The wood of choice is antibacterial and antimicrobial thus guaranteeing your family’s safety.
- Capable of withstanding lots of force such as that of a neat cleaver without leaving the board in a messy state.
- It’s a bit pricey
- Its large size may not be pleasing to some.
4. Kitchen Active Bamboo Cutting Board
Measuring 13×10 inches, this is yet another very eco-friendly premium cutting board that features a bamboo material. In the design is a one-handed handle that helps in the improvement of the products easy usability and storage as well as elegance. It has proven to be the best for use in cutting, chopping or dicing of flora, French bread, pastry lemon, and watermelons among other foods. Its impressive performance and elegance have made it a nice option for all those who are considering gifting friends for housewarming, Mother’s day or weddings among others. The biggest plus of any cutting board is if it has an antibacterial and antimicrobial feature, which this product proudly boasts of having.
Features and Pros
- When compared with cutting boards of its caliber, its price is very reasonable.
- It features bamboo wood, which is a natural repellant great for working against bacterial and microbial breading.
- The natural porosity of bamboo makes this board very hygienic and easy to sanitize.
- It features the contemporary good looking two toned design, with the board also being very sturdy and lightweight
- Not as durable as other boards on this list
5. SoulFino Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board
Measuring 17-inch by 13-inch by 1.5-inch, it is truly an extra-large cutting board. For those looking for an eco-friendly and antibacterial wooden cutting board, one that is also aesthetic appealing to be presented as a gift as well as for a decorative kitchen, then this is the product to go for. This SoulFino cutting board can be summed up as a premium quality product that’s ideal for those who are tired easily stainable and hard to clean boards.
Features and Pros
- Durability-The next time you will be buying a cutting board will be when you have decided to do so but not because of a disappointment by this product
- Size-As far as kitchen works and worktop operations are concerned, size will always matter. This product is bigger and thicker for ideal use by even the butcher
- Health Guarantee- With this product, you will say bye-bye to bacteria and other disease carrying and causing microbes.
- Bamboo- Bamboo is naturally and environmental friendly material that is easy and quick to grow, renewable, sustainable and chemical-free thus great for cutting boards in all respects.
- Would have been great if anti-slide rubber pads were factored in the design at the bottom of the cutting board.
Buying Guide of the Best Wood Cutting Boards
Now that we know that wood cutting boards are the best options, and now that we know some of the very top products on the market, it is worth understanding how to undertake the choosing process. Below are factors to consider when making your choices?
i. Type of Wood
The best woods to be selected have been mentioned above namely: teak, cherry, maple and bamboo
The right size of a cutting board should always be selected. There are numerous sizes for one to choose from. If you purpose to deal with large chunks of meat cutting, it is prudent that you consider going for the large-sized boards. You may also need to consider thicker boards if butchering is a regular practice in your kitchen. An average of about 20 inch length and about 15 inch width is ideal for piecing meats.
iii. Food to be chopped
If you will only be chopping plants but not meats or meats but not plants, you may not need to have more than one cutting board. However, if you are considering cutting both of the two, it is prudent that you go for two cutting boards to reduce the risks of bacterial contamination of your vegetables by the meats. Using one board for everything also ruins the taste of some of your foods.
The better cutting boards should always provide ultimate service for several years. Only those durable cutting boards that have well been made are capable of offering such long lasting performances. Ideally, the more durable the cutting board, the more expensive it will be. But even so, the most expensive boards are still relatively affordable. I would rather you spend a few more dollars on something durable than on something ordinary.
Best Wood Cutting Board
It is now evident that the secret behind choosing the best one is found in the clear understanding of what the best wood used to make the cutting boards. There are several types of cutting boards ranging from the glass types, the plastic types and the wooden types among others. Of these, the wooden types have been proven to carry the day as the most popular and the most recommendable options. SoulFino Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board fits all the bills and proves to be the best value for money.
Wooden cutting boards have been proven to have bacteria killing effects with most of them doing this with a span of just 3 minutes after use. This is unlike the plastic products that have failed such a health centered test.
The most important benefit of some of these wooden cutting boards is their ability to protect knives from blunting
It’s worth noting that the best woods to consider are those hardwoods with antibacterial and antimicrobial features having no toxic chemicals that can easily be leached into the food you are working on. Let them also be resistant to water absorption, and friendly to sharp knives. On our review above, the DiEvita Premium Bamboo Cutting Board carries the day as the best cutting board with bamboo getting more points.